My father’s Brumfield family starts with John Brumfield & his father, Charles, as the furthest back in this tree that I can document at this time. I have found, on Ancestry.com’s family trees, steps further back in the family history. Those trees show Charles’ father as Watson Brumfield, b. c. 1720 in Virginia and his father, Moses Brumfield, b. c. 1700 in Virginia. Wives and other children are given. The only source citation given is other people’s trees. One tree traces the family back to a Thomas Brumfield born 1613 in England. I would love to link those men with our family but would like to find reliable sources first: published histories, church records, a family Bible, original documents,… If you have knowledge of any of these sources please contact me. Until then my Brumfield family line begins c 1768.
This family lived in the Virginia, the Carolinas, Louisiana and Mississippi area.
My direct line Brumfields:
- Charles Brumfield, dates unknown; married to Lucy
- John Brumfield 1768 – 1834; married to Margaret Kelly; 13 children
- Nathaniel Brumfield b. 1813; married to Charlotte Temple Ott; 5 children
- Jessie Alexander Brumfield 1838 – c. 1910; married to Martha Elizabeth Alford; 8 children
- Rose Ella (Brumfield) Brown 1867 – 1948; married to Jasper Pascal Brown, 9 children
A few Brumfield Resources:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Pike County, Mississippi. Deluxe. Norman, Oklahoma: Arphax Publishing Co., 2005.
- Clawson, Alma Dell Magee. Fields of Bloom. Privately printed. 1972.
- Conerly, Luke Ward and E. Russ Williams. Source Records From Pike County, Mississippi 1798 – 1910. South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1989.
- Criminger, Adrianne Fortenberry. The Fortenberry Families of Southern Mississippi. South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1984.
- Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1885. Greenwell Springs, LA.
- Holcomb, Brent H. York County, South Carolina Will Abstracts 1787 – 1862 [1170 - 1862]. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2002. 975.743
- Holcomb, Brent H. York Co, South Carolina Deed Abstracts 1786 – 1801 [1772 - 1801]. I. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2008.FHL 975.743
- Potter, Dorothy Williams. Passports of Southeastern Pioneers 1770 - 1823. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2002.
- Williams, Jr., E. Russ. History of Washington Parish, Louisiana 1798 – 1992. I. 1994. 976.311
- Williams, Jr., Ernest Russ. A Potpourri of Historical Data concerning the Founding Families and Individuals of Washington Parish, Louisiana, 1798 – 1860. Monroe, LA: Northeast Louisiana University, 1990. FHL 976.311
- Wallis, Ruth Temple. Descendants of Jacob Ott of South Carolina and Louisiana. 1967. Bogalusa, Louisiana. Privately printed.
Do you have Brumfield connections? I am always looking for new names & sources to add to my research. Just drop me a line or two. Check my website for more Brumfield details: Our Leaves & Branches.