Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Report: Families of Cork


Michael C. O’Laughlin’s book, Families of County Cork, was a gift from one of our daughters for Mothers’ Day this year. The book includes: maps of the county, a short history of the county, a long list of the surnames associated with the county and checklist for doing research in the county.

I had the book on my wish list because of my mother’s Irish roots. Her great grandfather, Daniel Mullane [c 1838 Cork, Ireland – 1930 Tipperary, Ireland] was born in County Cork. I found our family in the town of Kanturk in Slater’s National Commercial Directory of 1846. Later the family moved to the neighboring County of Tipperary where they remained for decades.

I was hoping for any information on the family and information on how to research this area. This is what I found:

MULLANE, Mullan.
A name found centered in Cork for several centuries, and linked with Macroom there.

This does reinforce that my family began in Cork before heading to Tipperary. I was hoping for more. I intend to follow up on the resources listed in the Addendum. Who knows where that may lead?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.