Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Elisabeth Burkholder in PA

This prompt comes from Amy Johnson Crow at her blog, No Story Too Small. She suggests we write once a week about a specific ancestor.



Elisabeth Burkholder Wolf
24 May 1814 PA – 22 June 1856
Daughter of Abraham Burkholder
My 3x Great Grandmother


Pennsylvania


I have not looked at information about Elisabeth in quite some time. I felt like I had to dig her up and dust her off. I looked at my notes in Family Tree Maker and thought; I must have more about her than that so I went to my file cabinet, pulled open one of the drawers full of my father’s family folders but found no additional notes there. 

Elisabeth Burkholder was mostly likely the daughter of Abraham Burkholder. I have evidences of him in Franklin Township, Adams/York Co., PA. If you research Adams/York Counties you know that the boundary line moved so people changed counties without ever moving their homes.

Elisabeth married John Franklin Wolf. They had nine known children born in York, PA. 

In 1850 John & Elisabeth were in Franklin Twp., York, PA. John was a stone mason. Next door was their oldest daughter and her husband, Sarah & James Williamson. The children of John & Elisabeth were living with their sister rather than their parents.[1] I could speculate on why they were living next door but I have no way of knowing the real reason.

Elisabeth short life story ended 22 June 1856, about a month after the birth of her last child.[2] Less than five months later John married again. On 6 November 1856 he married Caroline Philips.

As with many ancestors I wish I knew more about Elisabeth. She had only four decades to leave her mark but her children and their children carry the line forward. 


1 Elisabeth Burkholder b: 24 May 1814 York, PA, d: 22 Jun 1856
... + John Franklin Wolf b: 11 Apr 1809 Berwick, Adams, PA, d: 10 Mar 1883 Medina, OH
......2 Sarah Wolf b: Abt. 1833, d: Unknown
...... + James T. Williamson
......2 Esther Barbara Wolf b: 14 Jun 1836 York, PA, d: 11 Aug 1906 Medina, OH
...... + Augustus Ceaser Gruissy b: 16 May 1840 OH, m: 6 Dec 1868 Stark, OH, d: 8 Dec 1915 Stark, OH
......2 Susan Wolf b: 26 Sep 1839, d: Unknown
...... + James Custer m: 6 Nov 1873 Wayne, OH
......2 John W. S. Wolf b: Sep 1841 PA, d: 13 Sep 1908 Medina, OH
...... + Elizabeth Jane Anderson
......2 Joseph Wolf b: 8 May 1844 York, PA, d: 11 May 1924 Plain Twp.
...... + Anna Eliza Kohr m: 22 Aug 1872 New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas, OH
......2 Margaret Ann Wolf b: 03 Sep 1846, d: 29 Jan 1864
...... + Jugandt
......2 Justina Wolf b: 24 Aug 1850, d: 1851
......2 Samuel Wolf b: 2 Feb 1853, d: Unknown
......2 Frederick Wolf b: May 1856, d: 2 Sep 1856


[1] 1850 U. S. Census, Franklin Township, York, Pennsylvania; John Wolf & James Williamson families.
[2] The Diary of Ivy Mark Brown, great granddaughter of Elisabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.