Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Time to Write



Recently my genealogy research has been unfocused. I have found census records here and visited cemeteries there. I have switched from one side of the family to another. There have been small discoveries but nothing that inspired fireworks. There have been days when I have put it all aside and spent time at my sewing machine, finishing a pile of neglected projects.



I need to refocus the time I spend with my genealogy. And I know just where I should direct my efforts. All I have to do is sit at my desk at look at my cork board. Right there, on index cards, is the book for my mother’s family, nicely organized.



Years ago I wrote a slim volume called ‘Remembrances: The Story of the Coyle, Mullane, Gardner & Related Families’. At 130 pages it included family trees, photographs, stories and endnotes. I took it to an office store & had copies made that were bound together with a plastic spiral binding. The limited copies went to my brothers and my children. That Christmas there were big smiles and lots of page turning.

When I look at that that little book now I see how far I have come in learning about the family. Since the book was written I traveled to Ireland to research in archives and to walk where my great grandmother walked. Since the book was written I hired a researcher who sent my Jewish roots back two more generations.

In the years since I wrote that original book I have met and become good friends with my Irish second cousins. We have shared stories & photographs & good times.

I now have more data, more stories & more photographs. I also have a grandnephew, a grandniece and a grandson who should each have a copy of the complete story. What am I waiting for?




4 comments:

  1. I love the use of a "Cork Board" for layout. Does the sub-categories then becomes chapters or part 1, 2, 3 in your book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sections & then chapters. You will see in my next 'Time to Write' post.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with your writing, Colleen. I also could do with taking a more focused approach - I flit from family to family like a butterfly choosing flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dara, I know exactly what you mean! It is not easy to stick to just one flower.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.