Thursday, June 16, 2016

Family Treasure: The Old Writing Desk







My great aunt Marion (Coyle) McCall Kunemund lived in New York City for most of her life. When we visited her there in the 1950s & 1960s we saw her writing desk, her secretary.  In the 1970s she moved to Florida and the writing desk came to our house.








My mother had always admired the desk and she loved having it in a place of honor in our living room.  My mother kept her writing papers and photographs inside.




The desk now has a place in my bedroom. The dark wood matches our bedroom furniture nicely.  I keep a collection of framed family photos on the shelves and greeting cards in the drawers.  I am very happy to have my turn with this family treasure. 






9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful desk! And definitely a family treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. It is a family treasure that will continue to travel through our family.

      Delete
  2. A handsome secretary for sure. I love those old desks with their cubby holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if the term 'secretary' was just my aunt's term or if others used it too. The little cubby holes are the best part! ha!

      Delete
  3. Lovely desk. I inherited my paternal grandfather's secretary last year and it makes me smile every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I agree that it is a great way to keep someone close after they are gone.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful piece of antique heritage; and if it could talk, the stories it could tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desk is so beautiful! To have it be a family heirlooom in addition makes it such a wonderful piece to have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.