Friday, November 19, 2021

Ott, Consul of Switzerland

The Ott branch of my family reaches back to Melchoir Ott, my 7x great grandfather, who was born in Switzerland in 1699. From Switzerland, the family settled in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Later generations moved further south, into Mississippi and Louisiana.

 

When I saw this brief announcement in an 1843 New Orleans newspaper, it caught my attention. The combination of the surname Ott and Switzerland would indicate a connection to our family. John Tyler would have been the President at the time of this appointment. I have been unsuccessful in determining what was involved with the job.

 

I do not know, specifically, who “A. Ott” was. If you have any information please share. 

 



 

Executive Appointment. The President of the United States has recognized A. Ott, of Indiana, as Consul of Switzerland for the states of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan and the territories of Wisconsin and Iowa.


 

Source: Summary of News. (New Orleans, LA: The Times-Picayune, 18 Jan. 1843) 2; digital image, Newspapers.com: accessed Sept. 2021.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.