Friday, January 27, 2012

FOUND: Marriage Record for Samuel Weissberg & Florence Gartner


Florence (Gartner) Weissberg
Sometimes writing an old fashioned letter works wonders. Not everything can be found on the internet. I knew that my grand aunt, Florence Gartner, married Frank Samuel Weissberg in New York City about 1906. In the 1905 New York State Census Florence was living with her father. I knew Florence’s oldest son was born 27 December 1907. By 1910 she was living in Buffalo, New York as a married lady, mother of one son.

I went to the web site for the New York City Municipal Archives


I printed out the PDF form to request a marriage certificate by mail, filled in what I knew, including the range of years when they were most likely married and mailed it to: the New York City Municipal Archives, 31 Chambers Street, New York. About 4 weeks later they mailed me the certificate. I love my mailbox when it has a genealogical treasure.

Samuel Weissberg & Florence Gartner were married on 27 January 1907 in Manhattan. Samuel had been living at 646 East 6 Street. He was a 27 year old Tailor. Florence was living at 340 East 87 Street. She was 23. [As with almost all genealogical advancements, this one comes with a question. It says Florence was born in Hungary whereas all other records show her birth in New York City.] 

Another small family fact has been uncovered. What’s next?

5 comments:

  1. Look at that fur! That's a big'un!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all those other records include Florence's birth certificate? If not, I guess that's what's next! That would definitively settle the issue. What a fascinating detour that would be if you discovered Hungary was the correct "fact"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, Florence's husband owned a fur shop in Buffalo, NY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqi, Florence's parents were born in Austria/Hungary but they were married in Manhattan, NY so I'm confident she was born in NY. All other records show her as born in NY. Not sure why her marriage record is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, impending marriage does have that way of making some people highly nervous...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.