An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging theme from Geneabloggers which encourages the family historian to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin – some we never met – others we see a time in their life before we knew them.
State of New York, County of ErieTo Whom it may concern. This is to certify that My Son Nathan Gartner was born July 2st, 1882 at 59 Pitt Street, NY, County of NY. His mother deceased.Leopold GartnerSubscribed & sworn to me this 1st day of November 1940.Milton S Weisberg, Notary Public, Erie County, NY
This letter concerns the birth of my maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Gardner. I have never found a birth certificate for him but I am fortunate that this letter has been saved in the family for 73 years. It is signed by his father, Leopold Gartner/Gardner. Leopold, a retired tailor, had moved from New York City to Buffalo between 1930 & 1935 to live with his daughter, Florence and her family.
Besides being evidence of my grandfather’s birth it also tells me that his mother, Fanny Edelstein, had died before this was written.
In addition the letter is signed by Milton S. Weisberg. Milton, an attorney in Buffalo, NY, was the grandson of Leopold and nephew of Nathaniel.
Although it is a short letter is holds any clues to my Gartner/Gardner and Weisberg family. I have it preserved in an archival safe sheet protector in an archival safe box and I have a scanned digital copy.
- 1915 NYS Census, Erie Co, Buffalo, ED 4, AD 21, 1 June 1915. Weissberg family at 264 Parkdale Ave. Samuel F, 38 b. Austria. Tailor. in USA 15 years. citizen. Florence, 33 b NY. Milton S 7 b in NY. Francis 4/12 b NY
- 1925 New York State Census; A.D. 19, E.D.8;289; New York State Library, Albany, NY: Leopold Gardner family at 234 West 120th St.
- 1930 US Census, New York, Erie, Buffalo; SD 7, ED 15-274, Sheet 17A. Sam Weisberg family at 386 Grant Street.
- 1940 US Census, New York, Erie Co, Buffalo, SD 40, ED 64-505, Sheet 62A, April 10. Weissberg family at 77 Manchester Place.
- 1940 US Census, New York, Erie Co, Buffalo, SD 40, ED 64-508, Sheet 63A, April 18. Weisberg family at 116 Bidwell Pwky. Milton S Weisberg, 32, b NY. Attorney, private practice. worked 44 hours. college 4 yrs.