Charles Brumfield [died April 1826, York, SC] was my
fifth great grandfather. The
· 1800 US Census, SC, York. From: Teeples, G. Ronald, Ronald Vern Jackson, and Richard Moore. South Carolina 1800 Census. Provo, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems, 1973.
"Charles Brumfield; York Co, SC; 946; 01001-00101-06"
· 1810 US Census, SC, York. Charles Brumfield. Ancestry.com
Free whites: male 1 45 + older; females 1 45 + over & 1 under 10; 15 slaves.
· 1820 US Census, SC, York, York; Charles Brumfield. Ancestry.com
Free whites: males: 1 45 + over & i 26 - 44. females 1 45 + over. 13 slaves.
Because we have only the names of the heads of households for these early census reports is can be difficult to say conclusively if a particular person is the person we are looking for. In finding these census reports I was hopeful this was my 5th great grandfather.
I looked at the information I had already gathered on Charles Brumfield:
· Whitman Smith, Elisabeth. "Occupants of Catawba Indian Land of York District, South Carollina Taken from Deed Books A - F 1786 - 1807." South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research. XIII.No. 1 (Winter 1985): 76 - 82. 19 October 1802; Andrew Townsend purchased land from Thomas Knox adjoining land owned by Charles Brumfield.
19 October 1802; Andrew Townsend purchased land from Thomas Knox adjoining land owned by Charles Brumfield.
· Houston, Martha Lou. Indexes to the County Wills of South Carolina. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1970. Charles Brumfield in York County, SC, 1815.
· Last Will & Testament & Estate papers of Charles Brumfield, 1815; Case #10, File #405; South Carolina Archives & History, 8301 Parklane Road, Columbia, SC.
Combining these sources we can make a mini time line for Charles Brumfield in SC.
1800 Charles Brumfield family in York, SC
1802 Charles Brumfield owns land in York, SC
1810 Charles Brumfield family in York, SC
1815 Charles Brumfield writes his will in York, SC
1820 Charles Brumfield family in York, SC
1826 Estate of Charles Brumfield settled in York, SC
All these sources meld together nicely a give me a good picture of Charles and gives me confidence that these Census Reports are correct.