Thursday, May 16, 2013

Michael Coyle, Baker

My great grandfather, Michael Coyle, has always been a bit elusive. He ducks down when I try to see him.  I have learned quite a bit about him but there are still dead ends when I try to learn more. I search & search and then just put him aside. Once in a while I pull him out again to see if I can learn anything new. There are always more records available to genealogists.

I recently looked at Michael Coyle once again. Surprisingly, I found something new!

I knew that he was born in Ireland in November 1870, the oldest child of Patrick & Margaret (Brady) Coyle. He came to the USA in May 1885, arriving in New York Harbor. He spent most of his life in New York City. His parents and siblings came later, settling in Waterbury, CT. Family stories say he was something of a black sheep and was not close to his family. His youngest siblings, born in CT, did not know him at all.

Naturalization
His 1894 Naturalization certificate(saved by his youngest daughter), however, shows he became a citizen in New London, Connecticut. That always puzzled me but there is no longer anyone I can ask about Michael, no one who would have known him. And I knew that by 9 November 1895 he was in New York City marrying Mary Josephine Mullane.

1894 Naturalization paper, Michael Coyle in Connecticut


I recently searched for Michael again on ancestry.com. I put in all the dates & places that I know. This time I also decided to add a key word: baker. I knew he was a baker in New York City for many years. I have, in my china cabinet, a glass cake plate from his bakery.  So I added baker to my search to see what, if anything would turn up.

1893 New London CT Directory page 53; Michale Coyle, baker


City Directories
Michael Coyle stood up and waved at me from New London, CT. The 1892, 1893 & 1895 City Directories of New London show Michael Coyle, baker at 24 Golden St. Because of the Naturalization record showing that Michael had lived there for at least a year and because I know he was a baker, I believe this is my great grandfather.

1897 NYC Directory; Michael Coyle, baker
You never know when an old search will turn up something new.


Sources:

  • Birth Record for Michael Coyle, 26 November 1870, Microfilm #101217, Page 121, Entry 478, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.  Photocopy from Kathleen Coyle, Arizona.
  • Arrivals at Port of New York, Microfilm #1027354, Arrival 11 May 1885, Passenger #540, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.  Copy made by Robert J. Coyle and given to author. Passenger: Michael Coyle.
  • Marriage Certificate for Michael Coyle and Mary J. Mullane, 9 November 1895, Certificate #17416, Bureau of Records, Health Department, New York City; New York City Department of Records and Information Services, Municipal Archives, 31 Chambers Street, New York City, New York, 10007.  
  • Certificate of Marriage for Michael Coyle and Mary Mullane, 9 November 1895, St. Brigid’s Church, 119 Avenue B, New York City, New York 10009.  
  • New York City Directory, 1897 - 1898, Microfilm Box #34, Reel #16, Page 267, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle, baker, 419 W 39th.
  • New York City Directory, 1898 - 1899, Microfilm Box #35, Reel #17, Page 269, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle, baker, 433 E 117th.
  • New York City Directory, 1899 - 1900, Microfilm Box #36, Reel #18, Page 261, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle, baker, 436 E 121st.
  • New York City Directory, 1900 - 1901, Microfilm Box # 37, Reel #19, Page 258, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle, baker, 159 E 113th.
  • New York City Directory, 1901 - 1902, Microfilm Box #38, Reel #20, Page 276, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle, baker, 159 E 113th.
  • 1900 United States Census, Manhattan, New York; Vol. 178, E. D. 930, Sheet 2, Line 72; New York State Library, Albany, New York; Microfilm Box #120.  Michael Coyle family at 159 E 113 Street, Manhattan.  
  • 1910 United States Census, Third Avenue, Ward 12, Manhattan, New York City, New York, S. D. 1, E. D. 330, Sheets 16 A & B. Michael Coyle family.
  • 1920 United States Census, New York City, New York, Vol. 279, E. D. 1292, Sheet 18, Line 70; New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle family, 223 E 113th.
  • Membership of the International Workers in the Amalgamated Food Industries for Michael Coyle, 4 June 1921. 
  • 1925 New York State Census, New York County, Microfilm Box #151, AD 18, ED 32, Page 47, New York State Library, Albany, New York.  Michael Coyle family at 223 E 113th.

2 comments:

  1. Very clever to add the keyword "baker." I don't think I've ever tried doing that even though it seems like an obvious thing to do. I guess I just figured my person would just appear if there was anything at all, but obviously not! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad I added Baker to the search!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.