Sunday, July 7, 2013

Census Sunday – ‘Mike’ Coyle

State & National Census Reports are filled with information for genealogists. Both the 
Michael Coyle
population & nonpopulation schedules give us insights into the lives of our ancestors. What have you found that is Surprising? Reassuring? Bewildering? Write your own Census Sunday post.

Recently I had a moment when I wanted to slap myself and say, ‘Why didn’t I do that sooner?’ Guess I just never thought about my great grandfather, Michael Coyle, as Mike. When I did I was able to find him in the 1915 New York State Census!

1915 NYS Census, New York City, ED 9, AD 28, block 1, pages 2 - 3; Michael Coyle family at 2033 Third Avenue.

Mike Coyle, head, 44 b Ireland; citizen, in US 28 years; Baker
Mary, wife, 44 b Ireland; citizen; housework

Children:
Helen, daughter, 18 b US; high school
Marion, daughter, 15 b US, school
Margaret, daughter, 13 b US, school
Tom, son, 11 b US; school
Lillian, daughter, 3 b US
[At this time one son had died & one more daughter was not yet born.]

2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that, and don't forget to use initials plus transpose First & Middle names as in James Henry Smith, Henry James Smith, J. H. Smith or H. J Smith. All could be the same individual.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.