Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tranquil Tombstone: Edwin & Martha Alford

Edwin Barksdale Alford
Born Nov 25, 1792
Died Mar. 10, 1878

Son of Jacob & Elizabeth (Bryant) Alford
Cemetery: Edwin B Alford Cemetery, MS






Martha P (Smith) Alford
Born March 25, 1802
Died August 8, 1861

Daughter of: Jeremiah & Joanna (Dillon) Smith
Cemetery: Edwin B Alford Cemetery, MS

Edwin & Martha are my 3rd great grandparents.



Edwin B Alford Cemetery
According to 'Cemetery Inscriptions Pike County, Mississippi 1750 - 1978' by Ray & June Sartin Parish, page 1:  "Cemetery is on a gravel road, 1 and one-half miles SW Silver Springs Baptist Church and 3/4 mile N of La. line.  On a hill just north of a small branch.  It is fenced out of a cow pasture.  Grown up with weeds and small trees."   

We visited there in August 1997. We had to walk through a cow pasture to find it. There was a tangle of weeds & thorns. I sincerely hope the stones there are still in good shape.


2 comments:

  1. I always feel sad when I see a neglected cemetery. Those stones seem good and sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are still in good condition & that others can find them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.