I am looking for tips on libraries, archives, cemeteries or historical societies in Louisiana. Early next month I will be going to New Orleans with my husband. While he attends a conference I hope to search out my Louisiana ancestors, especially these:
- Jacob Alford 1761 NC – 1824 Washington, LA 4x great grandfather
- Jessie Alexander Brumfield 1838 LA – c1910 2nd great grandfather
- Nathaniel Brumfield 1813 LA – c 1850 LA 3rd great grandfather
- Charlotte Temple (Ott) Brumfield 1815 LA – 1895 3rd great grandmother
- Jacob Ott III 1774 SC – 1836 Washington, LA 4th great grandfather
- Wyatt Smith 1809 LA- 1894 MS 3rd great grandfather
I will have a Friday, Saturday & Sunday for research. Many places will be closed, I think, on the weekend so I may have only one day. If you have visited any libraries, archives or cemeteries in the area I’d like to know which ones are the best to visit. I will have limited time and would like to find locations with family & area histories, parish records, cemetery listings, etc. I hope to look at books and records that I cannot find on the internet.
I am considering visiting the Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge. Has anyone used these archives for genealogy research?
The internet has some information on libraries & archives but I’d love to get tips from someone who has actually done hands on research in the area. Thanks, in advance, for your tips! Colleen