253 Main Street
Ansonia, CT 203- 736- 5980
My third cousin, Pat Brady, and I were recently in CT to find more information about William Brady, Owen Brady & Anna Brady Kilday, three of the children of Thomas Brady & Catherine Gibney. Our first stop was at the Ansonia Public Library. Our second stop was Ansonia City Hall.
We had prepared a list of birth, marriage and death certificates that we wanted to read and copy. Armed with the list, clipboard, notes and pencils we stepped through the rain and into the large building. The city clerk’s office was on the first floor in the back of the old building.
We were asked for our IDs and our genealogists’ cards. We looked at each other, unsure of what kind of card the clerk wanted. We wondered if there was a card that professional genealogists carried but we doubted it. When asked a second time I pulled out my membership card for the Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc. A smile from the clerk confirmed that was the card she wanted to see. We were told we could not use cameras and that copies were $20 each.
We stepped into a room full of volumes of records. Soon Pat was checking the index and I was pulling volumes to find the correct certificates. We found these:
· The Birth Record for Eugene Brady, 16 January 1893; son of Owen Brady & Mary McGovern at 102 Factory Street, Ansonia.
· Marriage License for Agnes V Brady & George P. Renker, 18 September 1929. Agnes was the daughter of Owen Brady & Mary McGovern of Ansonia.
· Marriage License for Catherine Brady & Daniel J Corcoran, 9 June 1904. Catherine was the daughter of Owen Brady & Mary McGovern of Ansonia.
· Certificate of Death for Mary Brady, 20 August 1927. Mary was the wife of Owen Brady.
· Certificate of Death for Bridget Brady, 2 August 1914. Bridget was the wife of William Brady.
The only reason we were able to find May McGovern Brady was because of our research in the library earlier that day. We had not known when she died but when I was looking through the City DIrecrtories I found her death date. The 1928 City Directory for Ansonia said “Brady. Mary Mrs died Aug 20 1927 age 67.” That led us to her certificate.
We were very happy to find more puzzle pieces to complete the picture of our Brady families in CT.