Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Stray Horse of Moses Hollis, 1767 SC


This little clipping, over 250 years old, is probably the oldest newspaper account of an ancestor I have found. I am amazed that this still exists and that I was able to find it online. It is a part of a list of descriptions of "stray horses." This was, most likely, a serious problem for my ancestor. However, I am pleased that the missing horse resulted in my finding his name in the newspaper. 



1728 Fairfax, Virginia - 1794 South Carolina
Son of John Hollis Esther Canterbury
Husband of Rosannah Berry Hagan 

Revolutionary War Soldier

My 6th great grandfather





The South-Carolina and American General Gazette

Charleston, SC, 7 August 1767, page 4

Newspapers.com

 

2 comments:

  1. Woah, I can't believe you got so lucky with an article from over 250 years ago! What an awesome find! The oldest I have is just about 145 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find! As a horse owner myself, its always so fun to me when I can discover information pertaining to my ancestors' horses (and in my case, mules).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.