Monday, April 2, 2012

Family History Library, Salt Lake City Research Trip, Part 3: USA Books

I recently took a trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. I had three days to spend in the library while my family was on the slopes of the Canyons and Park City. By mid afternoon they were ready for a break from skiing and I would head back over the mountains to join them. Therefore, my time in the library was limited. When expanding my Irish research did not look promising I decided to put it aside and take the elevator to the second floor, USA & Canada Books.xcza

          The only family notes I had with me were my Irish families but I did have my iPad with the ancestry app that links to my Family Tree Maker 2012 program on my laptop at home. At our condo I made some notes on my paternal grandfather’s family. I divided them by state and then county.

Georgia, Liberty County: Edward S. Brown b1806
Louisiana, Washington Parish: Martin P., Jessie A. & John D. b late 1830s
Mississippi, Marion County: Moses Brown m 1812 & d 1838
Mississippi, Pike County: Alford, Smith & Fortenberry
Mississippi, Walthall County: Jeremiah Smith
North Carolina, Jones County: Edward Brown d 1787
South Carolina, Lancaster County: Fortenberry
South Carolina, Orangeburg County: Melchior & Jacob Ott
South Carolina, York County: Brumfield

          Back at the Family History Library I set up my things on a large library table near the shelves labeled for the Southeastern States. It is easy to find each state and then the counties within each state. In those county books I went straight to the index and looked for my surnames. I found more materials than I could fully search in the time I had.

          If you have an opportunity to do research in the Family History Library don’t pass it up. You’ll be glad you visited.

I used these books at the library:

Georgia: Liberty County 975.8733
· Hagenesss, Marilee beatty. Georgia Genealogical Sources. Anniston, AL: MLH research, 1997.
· Ingmire, Frances T. Liberty County, Georgia Marriage records 1780 - 1860. St. Louis, MO, 1985.

Louisiana: Washington Parish 976.311
· Williams, Jr., E. Russ. History of Washington Parish, LA1798 - 1992. I. 1994.
· Williams, Jr., Ernest Russ. A Potpourri of Historical Data concerning the Founding Families and Individuals of Washington Parish, LA, 1798 - 1860. Monroe, LA: Northeast Louisiana University, 1990.

Mississippi Books: Marion County 976.221
· Arnold, Jr., Stanley W., and Louise Anderson. Marion Co MS Cemeteries. 2nd Printing. North Little Rock, Arkansas: Custom Printing, 1988.
· Marion County Historical Society, First. History of Marion Co, MS. Marceline, Missouri: Walsworth Pub Co, Inc.
· Upton, Mrs. Robert Chester. Marriage Records Marion Co, MS 1812 - 1860. 1958.
· Williams, E. Russ. Marion Co MS Miscellaneous records, 1812 - 1859. Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, 1986.
· Williams, Jr., E. Russ. Abstracts of Deeds Marion Co, MS. 1962.
· Williams, Jr., E. Russ. Orphan Court Records 1812 - 1859 Marion Co, MS. Bogalusa, LA: 1962.
· Williams, Jr., E. Russ. Records of Marion Co, MS. 1965. 3.

Mississippi Books: Pike County 976.223
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike Co, Mississippi School Census, 1878. Greenwell Springs, LA.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike Co, Mississippi School Census, 1885. Greenwell Springs, LA.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike Co, Mississippi School Census, 1890. Greenwell Springs, LA.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1900.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1912.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1920.
· Haymon, Serena Abbess. Pike County, Mississippi School Census, 1933.

North Carolina: Jones County 975.621
· Aiken, Nancy Bryan. Minutes of the Jones Co NC Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1826 - 1841. Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, Inc., 2002.
· Gwynn, Zae Hargett. Abstracts of The records of Jones Co NC 1779 - 1868. I. Memphis, TN: Zae Hargett Gwynn and Henry Norburne Gwynn.
· Kammerer, Roger E. Onslow Register Records of Onslow & Jones Co Citizens and Related Families. II. 1988.

South Carolina: Lancaster County 975.745
· 1820 Lancaster Co, South Carolina Census.
· Ellis, Joanne. Lancaster County, SC Cemetery Date. I. Lancaster, SC: DD, Inc., 1995.
· Ellis, Joanne. Lancaster County, SC Cemetery Date. II. Lancaster, SC: DD, Inc., 1995.
· Holcomb, Brent H. Lancaster Co, SC Deed Abstracts 1787 - 1811. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press.
· Jeffcoat, Frances R. Lancaster District 1850 census of the USA. 1984.
· Small, Otha B. 1810 Lancaster Co SC Census. Monroe, North Carolina.

South Carolina: Orangeburgh County 975.779
· Buff, Jr., L. H. The Orangeburg District (SC) 1850 Census. Lexington, SC: Lexington Genealogical association, 1997.
· Culler, Daniel Marchant. Orangeburgh District 1768 - 1868 History and Records. Spartanburg, SC: The Reprint Company, Publishers, 1995.
· Jarrell, Lawrence E. 1820 Orangeburgh South Carolina Census. High Point, NC, 1998. 975.779
· Jarrell, Lawrence E. Early Orangeburgh South Carolina Census. 1998.
· Salley, Jr., Alexander S. The History of Orangeburgh County South Carolina. Baltimore, MD: Regional Publishing Company, 1969.

South Carolina: York County 975.743
· Holcomb, Brent H. York Co, SC Will Abstracts 1787 - 1862 [1170 - 1862]. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2002.
· Holcomb, Brent H. York Co, SC Deed Abstracts 1786 - 1801 [1772 - 1801]. I. Columbia, SC: SCMAR, 2008.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at Salt Lake City. My friend and I are going next week and we found your blog to be very useful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! Delighted to have been able to help another genealogist!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.