Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Ireland Trip, part 7


Clonmel, County Tipperary

 Old St. Mary's Church, Clonmel

          According to tradition Clonmel was set up by Vikings traveling up the River Suir. Fairs were held there as early as 1225. In 1338 and for the next 200 years Clonmel was a trading center for wool, hides, saffron, wines and cloth. It was attacked in 1516 by the Earl of Kildare and in 1650 by Oliver Cromwell. The weaving industry grew there in the 17th century and the milling and brewing industries flourished in the 18th century. Clonmel was a market town, the center of local government and the site of an army barracks in the 19th century. [Tipperary County: People & Places, Michael Hallinan, 1993]

          The first evidence of Daniel Mullane and Brigid English in Clonmel was 25 August 1866 when they were married in Saint Mary’s Church. The old church was built in the 13th century. Extensive renovations were done in 1805 and a total rebuilding was done in 1857. My daughter and I found the church but I was disappointed to find it locked. We looked at the tombstones but found no Mullanes.

3 Upper Gladstone Street, Clonmel
          We found it easiest to park and walk around the section of Clonmel near Old St. Mary’s Church. From my research I knew Daniel Mullane and family had lived on Mary, Queen and Upper Gladstone Streets. By walking around the old town I discovered just how close those streets were. Those three streets form three sides of a rectangle with Queen Street as the short side connecting the two longer streets. I don’t know just where on Mary or Queen Streets the family lived but they lived at 3 Upper Gladstone Street so we found and photographed that little corner building. Over the years the family had their coach building and grocers at that location.

Saints Peter & Paul Church, Clonmel
          Between 1872 and 1880 Daniel and Brigid’s children were baptized at Saints Peter and Paul Church, built in 1810. The church is located between Gladstone and Mary Streets. Unfortunately, it was also locked up. A candle and a prayer for my ancestors wasn’t possible.

          I had traveled a long distance to find the Mullanes in Clonmel but they remained just out of sight.

          My daughter and I spent the night in Clonmel, at the pretty yellow Minella Hotel on the shore of the River Suir. We had dinner at the hotel’s bar and saw a colorful sunset before getting our night’s sleep.




1 comment:

  1. No Mullanes, but my goodness -- their street! Their corner! Their locked churches. And a sunset like they saw. As good as it gets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.