Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Christmas Postcard to Nana


Dear Nana,

When I remember childhood Christmases I remember you. Before the holidays you got busy with your large black scissors and your treadle powered Singer sewing machine. You turned soft flannel fabrics into cozy pajamas for us, your grandchildren. You turned cheerful cotton fabrics into shirts for my brothers and pretty little dresses for me.Then you wrapped them up to surprise us. I loved the special touches you added to my dresses, pastel ribbons or buttons shaped like kitties or ducks. Your love for us went into every stitch.

I remember shopping with our mom to buy you warm sweaters and the raspberry candies you loved, hard candies with soft centers. We made sure you always had some for the holidays. I look for those every year. Putting out a dish of those candies is like having you for a visit.

You spent every holiday with us. You only lived a few miles away but you would sleep over so you could see our faces on Christmas morning when we first saw the tree and the presents beneath. You’d share my bed with me and we could cuddle.

Those were wonderful times together. Now that I am a Nana I hope that I can show my grandson all the love you showed to us. 

With never ending love, your one & only granddaughter, Colleen


11 comments:

  1. Sweet memories. And love the postcard, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, it is always nice to have visitors & comments to my posts. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I like the look of the vintage cards & post cards. If I did not send out photo Christmas cards I would send out a vintage look.

      Delete
  2. Colleen, lovely memories and sentiments in your postcard series. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, it is nice of you to stop by, especially during this busy holiday time. I am enjoying writing my virtual postcards. Putting thoughts in writing, of course, is a great way to save our memories.

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet post Colleen! Thank you for sharing your memories of your dear Nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jana. I'm sure we all have relatives who were very close to our hearts & who stay there forever.

      Delete
  4. I remember those candies too. My grandmother's candy of choice was lemon drops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, isn't it funny the little things we associate with our family, like candies or a song or maybe a flower. It is always nice to have you stop by by blog; like a virtual visit with a friend.

      Delete
  5. Colleen,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/12/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-december-18.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I always enjoy your Fab Finds & when you include my blog you make me feel special. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. It's been 30 years since she passed and I haven't thought of those raspberry candies since my grandmother was alive. She loved them also. Thank you for reminding me. Now to find some of those sweet treats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.