Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Ireland Trip, part 3




While in Ireland, I am hoping to explore the beauty of Ireland and to learn more about my Irish families: Brady, Coyle and Mullane.  These families all left Ireland in the 1880s.
My daughter and I will be flying into Dublin. There are two places I intend to visit there in hopes being nudged in the right direction to find my ancestors.
1.    The National Archives, Bishop Street, Genealogy Service on the 5th floor. According to the internet: “The National Archives … is the ideal starting point because of its Genealogy Service. This service is provided free of charge to personal callers. Members of APGI offer expert advice to visitors on their specific family history research, explaining where to go and how to use relevant records. Visitors then go about their research in the Archives or in other repositories and they are welcome to return to the Genealogy Service for further guidance as often as they wish.”

2.    National Library, 2/3 Kildare Street. According to the internet: "The Genealogy Advisory Service is available free of charge to all personal callers to the Library who wish to research their family history in Ireland. For first time researchers this Service is an ideal starting point, allowing them the opportunity to discuss their research with experienced Library staff, and ready access to important finding aids."

I am taking my “Quick Notes” for the Brady, Coyle & Mullane families.  I prepared ‘Quick Notes’ on each of those three branches, condensed into two or three sheets of paper that I can easily carry along with me. They include basic information including sources, a time line that includes the family’s movements over the years and a list of questions I’d like answered. I also have an iPad with the ancestry app which links to the Family Tree Maker 2012 program on my home laptop. I find it much easier to travel with my lightweight iPad rather than my laptop. And, if technology should fail, I have my “Quick Notes’.

          In Dublin we also hope to see the Book of Kells, visit the Shelbourne Hotel for tea and, of course visit the Temple Bar area in the evening. At any point our plans may change if we see something else that looks more interesting or if we are just too tired from our all night flight and the time change! Hopefully the luck of the Irish will be with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.