Sunday, September 9, 2012

Census Sunday: Jasper Pascal Brown from 1870 - 1940


I have been fortunate to be able to trace my paternal great grandfather, Jasper Pascal Brown [b 15 May 1865; d 8 June 1950] through the US Census reports. In 1870 & 1880 he is with his parents, Allen & Emmaline (Smith) Brown in Pike Co, MS. On 21 December 1887 he married Rose Ella Brumfield. Starting with the 1900 census we can see he has followed his father’s lead and become a farmer with a large family of his own.

US Census Reports for Jasper P Brown


Jasper lived his life in Mississippi. I was surprised, therefore, to see him living in Louisiana in 1930. However, when I checked a map I saw that Washington County is just across the border from Pike County so it was not a big move. In 1940 he was back in Mississippi.
Jasper Pascal Brown

In 1930 Jasper & Rose were taking care of two grandsons, sons of their daughter Thelma Lady Brown. In 1940 Bernarr Reynolds, 14, was still with them. There must be a story behind this.
1940 US Census, Pike Co, MS

 These findings are just the beginning of my research into this family. They point the way  to the places I should search. Are you connected to this family? I'd love to hear from you.


1 comment:

  1. Not my family but sounds so familiar. Like Jasper, many of my relatives had grandchildren living with them in the 1940 census.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.