Sunday, September 29, 2013

Census Sunday – Ritters in 1880 Indiana

When you find a family on a census page be sure to look at the entire page. There might be other family members nearby. Check the page before & the page after as well.


I was looking for David Ritter [b 1832 OH], my 1st cousin 4x removed and found him in Indiana. Not only did I find David, his wife & family but I found his parents [Henry & Mary] next door and his father’s brother [Philip] nearby.

1880 US Census, Steuben, Indiana; SD 6, ED 4, Page 30

David Ritter family

David, 48 b OH, farmer
Malinda, 36 b OH, wife, keeping house
Levi, 17 b IN, son, at school
Adam, 12 b IN, at school
Willie, 9 b IN, at school
Jenney E, 1 b IN

Henry Ritter family

Henry, 77 b PA, retired farmer
Mary, 68 b PS, keeping house

Philip Ritter family

Philip, 60 b PA, farmer
Martha, 50 b Ireland, keeping house
Adolphus, 18 b IN, works on farm
Lovina, 16 b IN, at school
Elmer, 12 b IN, at school
Orpha W, 7 b IN


1 comment:

  1. Good reminder! I once found an ancestor's ex-wife and the children by looking for HER parents. And boom -- there she was -- remarried and living next door.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.