Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Great Grands – Who lived longest?

I have been reviewing the information about my direct ancestors for 52 weeks/52 ancestors. That review inspired me to compare my great grandparents. 

  • Who lived the longest? 
  • Which branch of my family lived longer?
  • Were they contemporaries? 
  • Would they have met each other?


My father’s grandparents:

Jasper P Brown                 1865- 1950         85 years               Average life span: 85
Rose Brumfield                 1867 – 1948         81 years

Thomas K Mark                 1879 – 1975         95 years              
Regina Gruissy                  1879 – 1959         80 years


I know these two couples met. My father told me his Mississippi grandparents visited Ohio when he was a boy. It is logical that they would have met the Ohio folks [who were a dozen years younger] during the visit.


My mother’s grandparents:

Leopold Gartner               1860 – 1948         88 years               Average life span: 65
Fannie Edelstein              1860 – 1908        47 years

Michael Coyle                   1870 – unknown
Mary Jo Mullane              1867 – 1927         60 years


These two couples lived in New York City but it is unlikely that they ever met. Because of the times and their religious differences [Roman Catholic & Jewish] they both disowned their children when they married.


Lifespan:


This data is incomplete because I do not know when Michael Coyle died but a quick look shows my father’s grandparents were longer lived than my mother’s grandparents. Just an interesting note to history.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to compile my grandparents' lifespans. But I have observed that my Davis men did not live long at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, sometimes you don't want to know how the family longevity looks.

      Delete
  2. I love looking at information like this about my own ancestors. I don't know the usefulness of it in regards to family history but I still find it interesting. Your father's grandparents lived long lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, yes I agree! My daughter, who knows much more about such things, says there is no statistical significance to the limited data but I find it intriguing.

      Delete
  3. I'm caring for a 90 year old Aunt; she is the oldest living relative in my ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, that's wonderful of you to be caring for your aunt. Even a person in the best of health can be challenging to care for. I hope she is able to share family tales with you. My oldest living relative is my 83 year old paternal uncle who loves to tell tales!

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea for presenting data. Thanks for sharing! (and I may borrow and credit the idea...!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.