Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Genealogy Goals Revisited

A year ago I wrote this list of research goals. Before writing a 2013 list I need to evaluate my progress and results from this list.

1.       I will concentrate my genealogy research on my mother’s family, broadening my knowledge of the Coyle, Mullane, Brady and English families in Ireland and the Gardner family in Austria.
[Partly done. I did concentrate on the Irish families but did not follow up on the Gardner family in Austria. They will need to be on my 2013 list.]

2.       Once again I will look through my Nana’s old trunk, my paper & computer files and my photographs for any clues I may have over looked in the past. [Done. I love looking through my Nana’s trunk on a rainy or snowy afternoon. It is the closest I can come to a visit with my beloved Nana.]

3.       In order to expand my Irish research I will organize my current findings with a timeline for each family & a list of findings & a list of questions still to be answered. [Done. There are still more questions to be answered but I know what direction I am moving in.]

4.       This winter I will visit the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah and search by names and locations for my mother’s family. I have never been there so I plan to research how things work there so I can get the most out of my time. [Done. I went to Utah in March. I found very limited information on my mother’s family but found many resources for my father’s family. I want to go back and do more. Read my posts on that Utah trip.]

5.       This summer I will go to Ireland and walk where my Irish ancestors walked: going to County Tipperary where the Mullanes lived and to County Cavan where the Coyles lived. Hopefully, the above goals will show me more precisely where I should when I get to Ireland. [Done. I went to Ireland in April. My daughter and I had great adventures. I walked in my ancestor’s footsteps.Read my posts from that adventure. I want to go back with my other daughter.]

6.       In the fall I will organize and write my findings.  I plan to publish a book on my mother’s family but that will probably happen in 2013. [I did not get this far. After the holidays and a trip in January, I need to do this!]

7.       All along the way I will use my blog and my website to share my findings and my questions with my family. [Done but not over!]

Writing down these goals helped me to clarify the direction my genealogy was headed in 2012. It also shows me where I need to begin my 2013 goals. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a year you've had and so many goals met. I'm off to read about your adventures in Ireland. One of these days I hope to get there. Thanks agin for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. It is always nice to read other blogs for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.