Monday, June 2, 2014

1901 Letter from Niece

I am fortunate to have copies of a collection of letters written to my great grandmother. I have been occasionally posting them here.

This letter was written to my great grandmother, N. Regina (Gruissy) Mark 1879 OH – 1959 OH while she was in Michigan visiting her sister, Rephenia (Gruissy) Nichols and her husband, Willis Nichols. The Nichols and their son moved to Michigan prior to the 1900 US Census. Regina and Rephenia were 'full' sisters who also had four half sisters from their father's first marriage. The letter writer, Lillian Vera Moore, was the daughter of one of those half sisters, Carolina L (Gruissy) Moore.

It sounds like Vera's mother is urging her to write this letter. I can picture her mother standing over her, waiting for her to finish so it can get into the mail.


Augustus Ceaser Gruissy with his second wife & his five daughters

Standing, left to right: Rephenia Gruissy Nichols, N. Regina Gruissy Mark & Margaret Gruissy Morrison
Seated, left to right: Caroline Gruissy Moore, Augustus Ceaser Gruissy, Esther B Wolf Gruissy & Mary Gruissy Lutz

To: Miss Regina V. Gruissy, RFD No. 2, St. John’s, Clinton Co., Michigan
From: Lillian Vera Moore[1]
Postmarked: 2 Aug 1901

Dear Aunt Regina –
I am going to try and make up with you for not writing sooner but really I have been so busy. I have not had time. I suppose you are having a good time. I know I am. Well Fred looks kind of homesick lately. I wonder why.
Jerome is well and all right. He is coming down to-night if nothing happens. I wish I could see you now. Have you seen Emma[2] since you are out there? How are all of the folks up there?
Mama was up yesterday and helped Mrs. Morton iron. Mama[3] has been waiting for me to write my letter so her news is a couple days old.
Well I must close as it is nearly mail time. We are going to have our ice cream supper at Leroy Saturday night. Wish you were here. Good-bye. Write Soon. Your niece, Vera





[1] Lillian Vera Moore, 1884 OH – 1967 OH, daughter of Peter J & Caroline (Gruissy) Moore; half niece of Regina
[2] Emaline Floy (Moore) Spice, 1883 OH – 1942 OH, oldest daughter of Peter J & Caroline (Gruissy) Moore. Married Feb 1901 to Arthur Spice in Michigan.
[3] Caroline L (Gruissy) Moore, 1863 OH – 1936 OH, daughter of Augustus C Gruissy & Mary Ann Everett; half-sister of N Regina Gruissy. She and Peter were living in Medina Co., OH.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the letter AND the photo! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. I am very glad I have that photo with Augustus, wife #2 and all his daughters.

      Delete
  2. It's fun to have an old letter just to read a person's expression, see their handwriting, but I do wonder why this one got saved. There's nothing remarkable about the content, really. It feels like the kind of letter that would just get tossed in the trash. I'm glad I wasn't the person in charge of this letter HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, my paternal aunt has a big pile of letters that have been saved and passed down. They all involve her grandmother, Regina. Some years ago I put them all in archival safe sheet protectors and photocopied them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.