Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Report: Abstracts of York County, Pennsylvania Wills

As I have written, Maia’s Books was a vendor at the conference
 that was filled with books.
Once I found the PA section I started to fill my arms with books. This is the last of those books:




Wright, F. E. (2009). Abstracts of York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819.
 Westminster, MD: Heritage Books


Introduction: 
These wills were abstracted under the auspices of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in the early 1900s. Copies were made available to various libraries in Pennsylvania and microfilm copies made by the Genealogical Society of Utah (LDS). Originally the abstracts were arranged in alphabetical order. In this version we have re-arranged the entries in chronological order.



I found my 5th great grandfather, Johann Jonas Wolf, b 1739 PA – d 1787 PA, with reference to his wife and children. I had read a previous mention to this will in: Young, Henry James. Genealogical Reports for The Historical Society of York County: Evidences of the Wolf Families of York County before the Year 1850, 1938. From York County Heritage Trust, 250 East Market Street, York. My list of things to do includes finding a copy of this will.

Sep 7, 1787 Sep 21, 1787

Wolf, Jonas. Executors: Henry Hull and Garret Dorland. Berwick Township. Wife; Appolonia Wolf. Children: Jacob, John, Appolonia, Catherine, Adam, Christianna, Frederick, Elizabeth and Andrew.



I also found a 5th great granduncle, Christian Dick and his wife, Catherine Naugle/Nagle.

Oct 19, 1771 Oct 29, 1771

Nagle, John. Executors: Mathias Bowser and William Mummer. Paradise Township. Wife: Catharine Nagle. Children: John, Jacob, Margaret wife of William Hart, and Catherine and Christian Dick.


There are also several more references to the Wolf/Wolff family. I would like to be able to tie them in to my York Co Wolf family but the details just don’t line up as yet.

Do you have family in the area? Would you like a quick look up? Let me know.


3 comments:

  1. I have a number of German ancestors who migrated from PA to VA but whether they were in York, I don't know. Can you look for Armentrout / Ermantraudt, Eppard / Epert / Ebert, and Lingel ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I am away now but will do that when I am home again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.