Aged Couple Celebrate Sixtieth Anniversary
Barney Seaborn Alford
& Anna Rebecca Norman
Presiding Elder L. E. Alford and family left Friday for their former home at McComb City, where they went to attend the sixtieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. Alford’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Barney S. Alford, which was celebrated on St. Valentine’s day, at the home of the aged couple’s son, J. B. Alford.
Mr. and Mrs. Barney Alford have five sons and one daughter, all of whom were expected to be in McComb that day. They are:
· J. B. Alford [James Barney Alford], wholesale Dry Goods Merchant of McComb
· L. W. Alford [Lewis Wesley Alford], retail jeweler of McComb
· Rev. L. E. Alford [Lucius Edwin Alford], presiding elder of Newton District of the Mississippi Conference of the southern Methodist Church
· Norman Alford, retail furniture dealer of McComb
· Louis Alford [There was a Lewis & Lucius. I don’t have a Louis in my records. I do have Homer Alford.], mechanic of Yazoo City
· Mrs. Carrie Hays [Carrie Mabel Alford], wife of a wholesale furniture dealer of New Orleans, Louisiana
· [Daughter Eunice Lillian Alford died c 1884]
Many grandchildren were also present to make the happy young couple even more happy and also a large number of good neighbors who have known them for all these years gathered in the afternoon to do them honor.
The occasion was one long to be remembered.
- [Notes in Green are my notes.]
Source: Aged Couple Celebrate Sixtieth Anniversary. (Newton, MS: The Newton Record, 18 Feb. 1926) 2; digital image, Newspapers.com: accessed January 2019.