Sunday, March 26, 2023

St. Patrick's Well, Clonmel. County Tipperary, Ireland

In March I think Irish thoughts. 
I have been looking back at photos from my trip to Ireland in 2012. It was a trip to learn more about my mother's mother's family and to see the beautiful, green island. Here are a few from County Tipperary.





Clonmel. County Tipperary, Ireland

It is said that St Patrick and St Declan first met at this tranquil site 1,600 years ago. Patrick was journeying south to confront the pagan King of the Déise and Declan feared that Patrick would curse his people. The two holy men resolved their differences and the site was given to Patrick to mark the new friendship. Situated in a sheltered valley with the sound of water echoing all around, St Patrick’s Well, with its ruined church and cross in the centre of the artificial lake, is a beautiful mix of ancient heritage and modern landscaping. It lies just north of Marlfield village, near Clonmel. 

From: Saint Patrick's Well



In 2012 my oldest daughter and I traveled to Ireland. We rented a car and drove around the island. We were both site seeing & researching our Irish roots. One of the first places we went was Clonmel, home of our Daniel Mullane family. Daniel was my 2x great grandfather. 



    The Daniel Mullane family took picnics to Saint Patrick’s Well. Old black and white home movies show the place, easily recognizable by the stone cross. Family stories tell of the dog running away with Aunt Nell’s hat and when he was chased the hat ended up in the water. I was delighted to be be in the same place my ancestors had enjoyed. Now the ancient site is the setting for memories for another generation of our family.


 It was a beautiful. peaceful place. A good place to enjoy nature & think about our family.



St. Patrick has always had a special place in my heart because I was born on his Saint's Day, St. Patrick's Day. So his well near Clonmel is special in many ways.






I have written a book about my mother's family, 
including Coyle,  Brady, Mullane & many more. 


Contact me [cgbp@nycap.rr.com] to purchase a copy of this 344 page book.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity. Ireland is on my must-visit list, but probably not until I can narrow down some of my own research in the area. Your beautiful photographs make me excited for the day...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.