Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Forget Me Not: Roy Jessie Brown, My Paternal Grandfather

I keep more and more of my genealogy records in digital form but I do still have a file cabinet full of folders. They are filled with assorted paper documents, photographs, letters, graduation programs, Baptism certificates, etc. I have not been able to find my grandfather's obituary in digital newspapers. However, tucked into a sympathy card sent to my father was a yellowed newspaper clipping with the obituary. The advertisements on the back side are all for locations in Hudson, NY. Therefore, it is mostly likely from the Hudson newspaper. He had lived in Columbia County, NY for about 15 years.


Roy Jessie Brown

8 March 1902 MS - 12 May 1956 MS
My Paternal Grandfather




Formerly of Stockport. Roy J. Brown of Stockport, died Friday in Tylertown, Miss., where he had been spending the winter with relatives. The funeral was held there Monday with interment in Tylertown. Mr. Brown, 54, was a native of Tylertown. He had been a resident of Stockport since 1941 and had been employed at both the Stockport paper mill and Bonafide Mills. He was a member of the Stockport Fire Department. Survivors include his wife [Ivy Regina (Mark) Brown], who resides in Cobleskill; five sons, Delbert of Germantown, Leo of Schenectady, Larry of the United States Army, Robert and William of Cobleskill; two daughters, Mrs. Carl Wieland of Hagman and Mrs. Elmer Sparks of Cobleskill; four grandchildren; several brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces. 




Source: Formerly of Stockport (newspaper clipping most likely from Hudson Register Star, Hudson, NY, 1956) in possession of author. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.