Sunday, February 7, 2021

Brown/Patrick Farmers in 1850 Michigan

Thanks to the Non-Population Schedule for 1850 we have details of the farms of these relatives living in Jefferson, Cass County, Michigan. I find it very interesting to read about the livestock and crops that were grown.

 

 

Amanda (Brown) Patrick

&

Nancy P. (Brown) Patrick


Daughters of 

Moses Brown, 1777 NC – 1838 OH and

Nancy Chandler Perkins, 1787 SC – 1870 MI [2ndwife]

 

My Half-Grand Aunts

 




Samuel A. Patrick, husband of Amanda Brown

 

50 acres of improved land

70 acres of unimproved land

$1,000 value of farm

$50 value of machinery

2 horses

3 milch cows

3 other cattle

25 sheep

8 swine

$185 value of livestock

200 bushels of wheat

300 bushels of Indian corn

 

Source: 1850 US Selected Non-Population Schedule, Agriculture, Michigan, Cass, Jefferson; digital image, Ancestry (ancestry.com: accessed Dec. 2020) Samuel Patrick.

 

 

Johnson Patrick, husband of Nancy P. Brown

 

30 acres of improved land

130 acres of unimproved land

$1,200 value of farm

$75 value of machinery

3 horses

3 milch cows

3 other cattle

22 sheep

18 swine

$250 value of livestock

60 bushels of wheat

$400 bushels of Indian corn

 

Source: 1850 US Selected Non-Population Schedule, Agriculture, Michigan, Cass, Jefferson; digital image, Ancestry (ancestry.com: accessed Dec. 2020) Johnson Patrick.

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Don't you love the ag censuses?! I find it fascinating to learn how much property farmers own, the animals they had, and the products they grew. I think the ones I've looked at were later years and gave even more information. I'll have to search for the 1850 for my own farmer ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading the non-population schedules too. Comparing my ancestor's farm size and production to that of his neighbors helps develop a picture of his economics. Still I always end up wondering if "60 bushels" or whatever is typical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had farmers in the family in the 1850s. Absolutely love the federal agricultural census returns as they say so much about ancestral farms, as you have shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the agricultural schedules! They tell you so much more than just "farmer." How fortunate that you have found them for your family members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by & for the wonderful comments. I wish more of those Agricultural Schedules.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.