Friday, October 1, 2021

A First Class Saw Mill in Pike County, 1887

This is an interesting newspaper clipping about a saw mill in Pike County. The S. E. Ott mentioned is, I believe, Samuel Edward Ott. I am unsure how vegetables relate to a saw mill’s operations but it sounds lucrative. 

 

 

Samuel Edward Ott

6 December 1830 LA – 9 June 1922 Pike, MS

 

Son of Charles Ott & Margaret Ann Tate

Husband of Elenor Esther Addison

Father of 12 children

 

 


 

Messrs. Bridewell & Co. and S. E. Ott & Son, have now a first class saw mill, each, and are bringing in large quantities of very fine lumber, which is putting a good deal of money in circulation. The vegetables shipped from here have also brought in somewhere near six thousand dollars. What will it bring in next season?

 

Source: Osyka Notes. (Magnolia, MS: The Magnolia Gazette, 10 June 1887) 2; digital image, Newspapers.com: accessed Sept. 2021.


1 comment:

  1. I love finding little articles like this about my ancestors.
    I could be wrong but I think the connection between the sawmill and the vegetables being shipped from there is the fact that they are both bringing more money into the area. Always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.