Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book Report:: Land Records of York County, Pennsylvania



I bought several books in the Exhibit Hall at the NGS Conference.  Maia’s Books had many books about Pennsylvania.

 I bought four, including this one:





Brewer, M. M. (2005). Land Records of York County, Pennsylvania; 1746 - 1764. 

Lewes, Delaware: Colonial Roots. 

(Original work published)




The book includes Deed Books A & B and an Index.




On page 145 I found my 6th great grandparents, Johan Jacob Wolf & Anna Barbara Orth. Johan Jacob Wolf had been born in Germany in 1694 and came to Philadelphia in 1737. In this deed transaction he sold land to son, Johan Friedrich Wolf, b 1735 in Germany. Friedrich agreed to allow his parents to live on the land as long as they lived.

2 Jul 1757. Deed. Jacob Wolf of York Co yeoman for the condition hereafter mentioned sold to Frederick Wolf of York Co yeoman a 100 a. tr of land whereon the said Jacob Wolf now lives adj Abraham Housewart & George Peter in Pidgeon Hills in Berwick Township, which was given unto the said Jacob Wolf by Peter Naftzgar on 2 Feb 1754…the said Frederick Wolf doth agree to allow the said Jacob Wolf and Barbara his wife the privilege of living on the said tr of land so long as they or either of them shall live and to allow them ½ of all the produce of the said tr of land so long as the or either of them shall live… and further the afsd Frederick Wolf doth agree to pay unto the said Jacob Wolf and Barbara his wife or to the survivor of them L50 when they shall demand the same provided that there be no more demanded then L5 at one time and no more than L10 in one year… Wit: Geo Hook, Henry Weller. Ackn 13 Dec 1762 before John Adlum esqr justice. Deed Book A. page 632.

On page 119 I found Abraham Burkholder who may be my 4th great grandfather. I know Elisabeth Burkholder Wolf, was b 1814 in York, PA. He might be her father.  I’ve made a note of this deed in hopes it leads me to more information.

29 October 1761. Deed. John Jones of Chanceford Township, York Co for L40 sold to Thomas Armor of the Town of York, York Co esqr two trs of land in Chanceford Township adj Abraham Burckholder & Susquehannah River, the one 40 a. and the other 27 a., granted unto me by the Proprietaries in pursuance of a warrant dated 4 Apr 1754… Wit: Thomas Ramsey, James Heald. Ackn 29 Oct 1761 before George Stevenson esqr justice. Deed Book A, page 548.  

2 comments:

  1. I need a do-over so I can go back to the Exhibit Hall!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.